Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Eagerly awaiting Apollonia




I'm eagerly awaiting Karin Apollonia Müller's new book On Edge

I've talked in the past about Karin's first book Angels in Fall - which, by the way, you no longer have to fork out $400+ as it's been reprinted and is once more affordable for us photo-peasants.





I've seen a few of the pictures from the book on websites, but I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing. One of the main things about her work that draws me into it is the way she is able to convey the quiet strangeness of the city which she knows intimately yet is still an outsider in it.

From the publisher's blurb:

"On Edge is Karin Apollonia Müller’s second monograph, and the first to be published by Nazraeli Press. While Angels in Fall (2001) dealt with the disconnect between human beings and their environment, On Edge shows the earth “crumbling away”, and our futile efforts to control or hide the subtle invasion of nature into cultivated spaces. Working in color with a muted palette and low contrast, Müller creates powerful images which evoke a sense of displacement in keeping with the artist’s “visitor status” as a foreigner in Los Angeles."






I'll give an update once I have the book in my hands.

p.s. - I love parents who give their children names like "Apollonia" (like my colleague Pandora). Possibly teased at school, but it sure is a great hook when you want to be an artist...

No comments: